In 1954, ‘Reverent’ Sun Myung Moon, an excommunicated Presbyterian, formed ‘the Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity.’
Moon was born in 1920 and came from a poor farming family with ancestral roots in Confucianism. In Kwang Yol Yoo’s book, Unification Church History From the Early Days, he states how Moon experimented in contacting ancestors in the spirit world, during his early teen years, and continued throughout his early life, dabbling in spiritualism too.
In 1984, Moon’s seventeen-year-old eldest son was tragically killed in a car accident. Over the years moon continued to be ‘in contact on a spiritual level’ with his dead son, who he also claimed was able to speak to him, through an unnamed African medium/disciple of Moon.
One Sunday Easter morning, on 17 April 1936, a sixteen-year-old Moon claimed that ‘Jesus appeared to him’ and told him, “To carry out my unfinished task.” Then a voice from heaven said, “You will be the completer of man’s salvation by being the second coming of Christ” (Kwang Yol Yoo, Unification Church History From the Early Days).
However, upon investigation of this so-called ‘vision,’ one soon discovers some series discrepancies: certain Unification publications have stated Moon was fifteen-years-old, other journals claim he was seventeen years of age, while others have him as eighteen years old!
With such inconsistencies and contradictions, one cannot help but be suspicious of all of this. People such as Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons, have also had this regrettable problem of remembering precise dates and places, which underpins any genuine authenticity of their religious beliefs. They all fail to be consistent to the record of what they have previously said either by word or by mouth!
And if the above contradictions weren’t bad enough, Walter Martin in his book, The Kingdom of the Cults, makes a very interesting discovery. He claims that the date was infamously given of Easter Sunday, 17 April is in fact, incorrect. The 17th was on a Friday, not a Sunday (p. 372-373).
So is this an embarrassing discrepancy, on Moon’s part, or was he simply out to deceive gullible people?
By the 1970s, Moon, the self-proclaimed ‘Messiah,’ had arrived on the shores of America.
This thrice-married man, with over thirteen known children, would begin to take his false teachings across many cities in the United States of America. He would also hope to win support for the then battered President Nixon, struggling against the tide of Watergate (the Catholic church own this vast complex.)
(Moon and Nixon. Notice the Masonic handshake!)
Moon would also take a bold personal stand against the errors of communism (Missiology, July 1975, p. 360).
Quick facts about Moon
- On 27-28 May 1982, he gave evidence in court, under oath, of a ‘visual encounter’ with Jesus, Moses, and Buddha (Richard A. Blake, The Attraction of the Moonies, 12 June 1982)
- Also claimed to have seen and spoken with Confucius and Mohammed (Yoo, Early Days)
- Claimed his techniques as the Messiah have helped Hitler and Stalin be “reborn as new persons.”
- That God told him to go to America (Sontag, Moon and Unification)
- That he conquered Satan and forced him to explain the fall of Adam and Eve (Yoo, Early Days)
- He was a prolific womaniser and bigamist and was arrested twice for his promiscuous and adulterous behaviour(Fredrick Sontag, Sun Myung Moon and the Unification Church, 1977)
- That Moon was ‘the Lord of the Second Advent,’ and subsequently cleanses women from sin after having intercourse with him (James Coates, Moon Church Traced From Sex Cult, Chicago Tribune, 27 March 1978)
- That Revelation 21:9 had now been fulfilled with the marriage of Moon’s last wife, whom he married when she was only seventeen, and he was forty. To date, they have had thirteen ‘sinless’ children. This couple were dubbed ‘The Parents’ (Dr. Young Oon Kim, Divine Principle, 1960, 1963)
- And in 1983 he was convicted of tax evasion $161,999 and sentenced to eighteen months in prison (Christianity Today, Moon Pleads Not Guilty in Tax Case, Cites Discrimination, 20 November 1981.) Upon his release – he served only thirteen months – Jerry Falwell petitioned for Moon to be pardoned by Ronald Reagan, which never materialised (James H. White, Unification Churches Anti-Communist Drive, Christian Century 28 August 4 September 1985).
(What did Jerry Falwell have in common with an infamous cult leader? Money, lots of money)
- Donated $3.4 million to Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University in 1995, to stop it becoming bankrupt (Cornerstone magazine.) According to the Los Angeles Times, Moon’s total donation, via Federation for World Peace, was $73,000,000.00.
- Instigated the collection of donations under false pretences (What Do You Say to a Moonie?, Chris Elkins, 1981)
- Boasted about how good he was at raising funds from vulnerable people. Money collected per annum would be $100,000,000 from Japan; $35,000,000 from America; and $20,000,000 from Europe, (T Harvey Holy, A View of the Moonies, 1989)
- He confirmed that in one month alone, eighty-two driving accidents occurred, with many of his teenage followers being killed in serious road accidents. Young people, it should be noted, are driven to work non-negotiable, fourteen-hour days. Food and sleep are deprived. All of this whilst Moon pampered himself in one of his many tax-deductible mansions (Moon, Master Speaks, 3 October 1976)
- He owned approximately, four billion pounds in business ventures such as weapons, soft drinks, computers, real estate, newspapers (Washington Times) and journals (Christopher Byron, Seems like Old Times, 27 September 1993)
- On the 8 August 1995, Moon infamously entered ‘the Guinness Book of Records’ for officiating the world’s largest mass wedding ceremony. Some 300,000 people participated in this simultaneous event in one hundred and sixty countries. According to Moon’s doctrine, the newlywed couples have to spend forty days in celibacy and after they are allowed to consummate their marriages for three consecutive days, only it seems to abstain from intercourse for some three years!
- In 2004, he told a special audience in Capital Hill, ‘That Hitler and Stalin had, from beyond the grave, proclaimed him “humanity’s saviour, messiah, returning lord and true parent.” (Chicago Tribune, Apr. 11,06).
- The same paper reported how he donated $250,000 to President George W. Bush’s inaugural committee.
How the Unification Church proselytises
- They target unloved and unwanted middle-class youngsters, offering to be the family they never had.
- Live in a socialistic communal environment.
- Members have to work for their keep.
- They suffer from a lack of sleep, late nights, and very early mornings.
- Once the above steps have been successfully achieved, brainwashing tactics are initiated.
- There are officially 12,000 members in the US at present, with several million worldwide (Chicago Tribune, Apr. 11,06).
- When councillors have rescued ex-Moonies from this cult, they need extensive deprogramming, which leaves lasting mental scars, and this can and does take many painless days and weeks to fully accomplish.
Red = Moonies
Black = Biblical Christianity
- Jesus had two human parents, but the Holy Spirit was partly involved
- Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit. Some theologians have taught that Mary’s chromosomes and blood never intertwined with Jesus.’ It should also be pointed out that a mother’s blood does not pass through the placenta. Had this been the case with Jesus, mankind would have had an imperfect Saviour, for Mary was conceived in original sin, whereas Jesus was always sinless (Is. 7:14; Matt. 1:20-25; Galatians 4:4).
- Jesus can by no means be God Himself
- Jesus is the God-Man. Please see a brief analogy: Seated tired and thirsty, at the well in Samaria, that’s man. He told the woman all about herself, that’s God. Lying asleep in a fishing boat during a storm, that’s man. Standing up and stilling the roaring waves, that’s God. Weeping because Lazarus’ family doubted the reality of the resurrection, that’s man. Raised Lazarus from the dead, that’s God.
- That the New Testament writers made Jesus into God (Christianity in Crisis, p. 12-13).
- The claim that the New Testament writers somehow embellished the truth concerning the risen Saviour’s true identity is totally false and has no grounds whatsoever. For centuries liberals and false teachers have levied this charge at the Church, but they have failed to prove their malicious allegations. Had the New Testament been forged or spiced up, then many passages such as Matt. 28:17; Mark; 3:21 & Luke 4:28 would have been omitted, so that Jesus’ disciples could have been presented in a much better light. However, by including these factual events, it showed the depravity of man and just how desperately he needs a Saviour; and towards the end of the gospels, God is glorified all the more, for Jesus’ family later came to believe in Him after His resurrection.
- That Jesus death was not God’s will
- Jesus did come to die for the sins of the world, and that this was very much God’s will of that, there can be no doubt (Gen. 3:15; Is. 53:5; Matt. 1:21; Luke 19:10; John 1:29; Rom. 5:18; Rev. 1:5).
- Nor was Jesus the Messiah
- In Luke’s Gospel, we read the following: “And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. (4:17-21). And in Acts 2:36 Peter states: “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ” (Messiah).
- That Jesus’ physical body did not ascend to heaven after the resurrection
- Acts 1:9: “And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight” (Luke 24:39 & John 20:27).
- That Jesus will never return in any form whether visibly or invisibly
- In Luke’s Gospel, the Lord Jesus prophesied His second coming: “And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory” (21:27). This clearly defined text should be interpreted to be literal. For 2,000 years now, Christians all around the world have lived with this hope. Please also see the following Scripture verses that prove His return will be for all to see (Ps. 110:5-7; Ps. 118:26; Zech.14: 4; Matt. 23:39; Acts 1:9-12; Rev. 1:7.)
- That Adam fell after Eve had sexual relations with Satan
- Adam and Eve did not fall as a result of some ‘sexual encounter with Satan,’ but through disobedience and then un-repentance towards God (Gen. 3:6-24 and 1 Tim. 2:14).
- That universal salvation will eventually be for all, even Satan and his cohorts
- Jesus said the road to Hell is wide and there are many on it (Matt. 7:13.) And later in Matthew’s Gospel (25:41), He separates that sheep from the goats, i.e., sheep enter eternal bliss in Heaven, while the goats, enter eternal damnation in Hell.
- That he had spiritual communion with Mary (called her ‘mother’, as the Catholics do), Buddha and Confucius
- Man is not able to communicate with the dead, nor can they communicate with the living (Luke 16:26.) However, there are two unique accounts in Scripture, when the Lord Himself made an exception. For in the case of Saul, God allowed this carnal king to make contact with Samuel, through a witch of all people, as judgment against him, by telling him that he would be dead within 24-hours. (Even though Saul was a wicked king, the Lord gave him time to ‘get his house in order’ before he died.) And in the case of the Transfiguration, Jesus used this event to strengthen the faith of His disciples (Luke 17:5).
Once again, I find myself scratching my head and asking the same old question: why do people take these impostors seriously? For such false teachers are always opportunists and Biblical illiterates too.
Not too long ago men like Moon would have been incarcerated under The Mental Health Act. However, this is a serious matter for all the many millions of Moonies, who look to their self-confessed ‘Messiah’ of Korea.
They would do well to understand that their eternal souls are at stake and that by continuing to follow the flawed teachings of Sun Myung Moon, they will spend eternity in Hell, with him.
The Daily Telegraph reported (4/11/05) how Moon, after a 10-year ban from the UK, was being granted permission by the Home Secretary to enter this country.
The paper had the following to say about this controversial man and why he had been banned for so long:
“…amid accusations that his church used dubious methods to gain recruits, he will fly into London today…He was also involved in one of the country’s longest-running libel cases in the 1980s after the Daily Mail accused him of ‘brainwashing’ young people…Ian Haworth, the general secretary of the Cult Information Centre, said that he was “saddened” by the news. “Mr Moon hasn’t changed, nor has his organisation. It makes no sense.” He added: “In my opinion, the Home Office is being naive. We will be left to continue to help any families whose loved ones become enmeshed in this organisation.” Mr Moon is flying into London in his private Lear jet with his wife, Hak Ja Han Moon, for what is likely to be his last international trip.”
The paper went on to report the following dignitaries that have been speakers at his many rallies: the former British Prime Minister, Sir Edward Heath, former Russian President, Mikail Gorbachev, former American President, George H.W Bush and Gen. Alexander Haig, former US Secretary of State.
The Daily Mail reported (17/11/07) how the Moonies have reinvented themselves in the United Kingdom (figures for UK membership are estimated to be 1000), by calling themselves “The Women’s Federation for World Peace International.”
According to the Mail, they are not only targeting British mothers but are also using ecumenical language to bring all religions together to solve the world’s problems.
On unnamed source spoke about how worried he is for his wife, whom he described as being, “quite vulnerable;” yet after she returned from holiday, clearly she was different and most disturbed!
At the age of 92, this self-confessed and billionaire ‘Messiah,’ has died. His youngest son will now replace him, but there is the talk of a power struggle between the heir-apparent and his other siblings.
R Martin, The Kingdom of the Cults
E. G. Gruss, Cults and the Occults
B. R. Smith, Second Warning
Updated, September 2012
(All Rights Reserved)